Minister confident of Indonesia's tourism despite bomb scares
Mimi Hudoyo, Jakarta, March 22, 2011
INDONESIA'S Minister of Culture and Tourism is confident that the recent bomb scares in Jakarta and Bali will not have a major impact on the country's tourism industry.
Minister Jero Wacik said: “This will not affect tourist arrivals much, as travellers today are used to news on terrorist threats in the world. It can happen anywhere.”
The Indonesian police remained on high alert after parcel bombs were sent to various public figures in Jakarta last week. One bomb exploded while police were attempting to diffuse it, seriously wounding three people.
Bali Police spokesperson Gde Sugianyar Dwi Putra also said that the SMS circulating over the past two days stating that there was an explosive-laden vehicle on the resort island was a hoax.